Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Safety FYI Important - "Globe" brand Bulbs and Fire Danger (story & pic)

 Attached is a picture of a CFL light bulb from a bathroom.  It was
turned on and then started to smoke after a few minutes.  Then four inch
flames were spewing out of the side of the ballast like a blow torch!  The
light was immediately turned off but it's certain that it would have caused
a fire if the person was not right there.  Imagine if the kids had left the
lights on as usual when they were not in the room.

    The bulb was taken to the MFB Fire Department (Melbourne, Australia) to
report the incident.  They weren't at all surprised and said that it was not
an uncommon occurrence.   Apparently, sometimes when the bulb burns out 

there is a chance that the ballast can start a fire.  There have been
reports issued about the dangers of these bulbs.

    Internet research shows that, bulbs made by "Globe" in China seem to
have the lion's share of problems.  Lots of fires have been blamed on misuse
of CFL bulbs, like using them in recessed lighting, pot lights, dimmers or
in track lighting.  This one was installed in a normal light socket.

    The 'Globe' bulbs were bought at Bunnings.  They have been removed from
the house. CFL bulbs are a great energy saver but make sure you buy a name
brand like Sylvania , Phillips or GE and not unknown brands from China ...

      PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS............



Posted via email from blog.andjoh