Monday, September 6, 2010

How the iPad fills in my day

Well I don't have to do much. I wake up, visit the Loo, grab a cup of tea and lately a bowl of muesli. Then I'm back in bed under my blankets and the TV on in the background. My iPad beside me is then picked up and launch Safari to FaceBook for starts. Going through FaceBook on it's own can take quite awhile. Reading post, comments, replying in between spoonfuls of cereals and sips of tea I could be up and back with a second or sometimes third cup before finishing going through FaceBook. It's a life, kicked back with this handy device that Anti-(why didn't Bill Gates do it first)Apple-(claiming their devices can do better two years earlier)Cynics don't really know what they are missing out on. Well if you don't try it, you'll never know.
Using Safari for FaceBook is much better then the iPhone app and haven't looked since getting this if they have released an iPad version or not. Twitter however, if I'm not intending on posting my own tweets and just reading and forwarding others, I use the iPad only App FlipBoard. It's like reading the morning paper. You launch the app and have a floating, sliding cover of things that are updated, not only Twitter, but FaceBook, FlipBoards team members post, photos and other things users add I haven't seen or read since I last had FlipBoard open. From the front cover which is best viewed in landscape I flip a page from right to left like a newspaper and see my options on where I would like to go. Reading Twitter in FlipBoard is not only the 160 characters with the shortened URL's but a great summary of the article the URL links to. If I want to read more I simply finger the button Read on Web then on the FLY FlipBoard would have the entire web page loaded to read. I can do normal web page interface with it, comment, post to FaceBook or other services I don't use and follow links like any browser and it's fast over my Wi-Fi connection.
I will then close the web interface and either reply to the Twitter Author or simply re-tweet the post. FlipBoard is so full of articles that keeps me occupied for quite sometime. Though it does come to an end where then I'd check my email. Mail on the iPad was so simple to set up it was just a matter of putting in my email and password that the app did the rest of the configuration that I was receiving mail instantly. That wasn't only because it was a GMail, it did it for my ISP account too. Reading mail fills in sometime of the day too as I only read the mail I want to read and forward onto my postereous blog account. Some mail being notification from FaceBook has me jumping back and forth between the two which doesn't bother me the slightest. With so much I can do on the iPad I do put it down to look at the TV for a bit while in-between things. I visit my regular Forums and Admin one site that's possible on the iPad. It's what I would be doing if I was on my Mac or even if I went as low to use someones Windogs Machine. Although I can't really comment on Windows7 as I haven't played around enough but what I've seen I've been impressed. Like as if they've finally followed Apple footsteps and made it more user friendly with a nice GUI. What the iPad fails is letting me download files from the net like RapidShare and So. But the great thing without having to get out of bed is ScreenShare right from my iPad and control my Mac. I take that opportunity to download files, un-rar them which are mostly movies then have them in iTunes ready to sync to my iPad. It came in handy last night when we had a power blackout for fourteen hours from the wild weather we just had. I had some movies and some TV shows on my iPad that saved my life in the blackout. I wasn't able to use the Internet as the modem was off too without the power. Other times I could stream movies over the Wi-Fi from the Mac to the iPad but I'd prefer to sync them over and put the Mac to sleep while not in use for power consumption.
When going into town and kicking back in the car as I'm not the driver the iPad comes along despite no Internet. I didn't worry about the 3G Model as I'm already paying for an Internet service and didn't care much to pay for another. Anyhow I usually play this game KamakaziRace (or something) where you're on the European Autobarn speeding along the freeway dodging the traffic and trying to avoid an explosive crash. I've done level one that took ages and think level two I've been at it for nearly two months. I'm getting close. The first level was a win at 45,000miles so I'm guessing level two and three would be the same. I've got up to 40,000 on level two once, but my other best around 38,000. Other times while traveling into town I have read a book, the iPad is great for books. It made me think it's got me back into reading but only into about chapter two on the second book I started to read. The demo of Alice in Wonderland is brilliant and amazing with not only the drawings but the animations in it bringing it to life. I may purchase the entire book yet sometime, I'd like too. Marvel Comics are great for comics lovers and the art work is absolutely stunning and really stand out. What I like is that you can pinch zoom into a section on the page where a scene is drawn and captured and you swipe to get to the next caption. It is so well done that if the character was in a background speaking that when you swipe it would zoom out to reveal the entire environment they are in. This is only some of the iPad that fills in my day. Maybe I will update and as others are trying to get anything as near and as good as the iPad, the iPad will only be more advanced for anyone else to work harder to get even close again. The reactions-
it's a big iPhone - it's more then an iPhone.
it doesn't have flash - that's great, because flash is annoying and I have it turned off on my Mac as well
Steve Jobs is locking it for money - well and to keep the record and movies industries happy from piracy and securing the apps like the Trojan apps that jumped onto Androids as quick as their release, they won't slip pass Apple to infect our iPhones, iPods and iPads. iPads may not be for everybody, but the ones who have one have no regrets. Sent from my iPad

Posted via email from andjoh's posterous